By: Dr. (Col) John Chenetra, President, SecUR Credentials August 17, 2018
This world is a tough and competitive space; the only way to get ahead in life is by playing the right card and by understanding other people’s perspectives.
To get a job is not an easy game these days!
There are several reasons for this cut-throat competitive atmosphere, perhaps the most obvious is the relatively few well-paying jobs in proportion to the number of new graduates each year.
The complications in recruitment process:
- Securing good marks, winning a lot of competitions, and being exceptional at your internships are not enough, because there will always be people out there who are every bit as competent and hardworking as you are.
- As difficult and stressful the recruitment process is to candidates, it’s even more so for the recruiters because hiring and an incompetent, malicious, or criminal person can cause innumerable financial and reputational repercussions to their organisations.
- In this atmosphere of suspicion and fraud, background checks are the thin blue line that assures a company of quality recruits.
Increase your chances of securing a good job:
- Have properly accessed credentials-
- One needs to get a number of things checked, including identity, address, educational qualifications, work history, and criminal record properly accessed by an established BCG (background check) firm.
- Also, securing character references from as credible a source as possible like university deans, professors, and senior management at your previous organisation.
- Provide your details correctly-
- Ensure that you provide the right details of these references and let them know that you are citing them as references.
- The sum total of these actions will assure recruiters that not only you are a clean applicant but also have a strong initiative that would greatly benefit their organisation.
- Filtering of social media-
Filter your social media accounts accordingly!
It means to remove content which could harm your job prospects or any information that may go against company policies/ideologies are just some of the additional steps one needs to take.
- Procuring credit report-
Acquire your credit reports!
- t is equally as important and includes a person’s credit history with detailed information of their credit accounts and loans, bankruptcies, and late payments, apart from their personal information.
- Income tax returns and bank statements are just some of the additional documents that can be requested on top of the appointment letter and salary slips.
- Pre-verify your resume:
The applicant should not forget to pre-verify the resume before forwarding it!
- A simpler option is to pre-verify your resume and make it accessible to the employer with the certified documents and verified details, giving you an edge over the hundreds of other candidates.
- In a better safe than sorry scenario, students benefit from running a test background check (to understand which areas might be troublesome for them) or have themselves pre-verified through services such as a ‘Secure Number’.
- This world is a tough and competitive space; the only way to get ahead is by playing it smart and understanding other people’s perspectives
- By getting into the psyche of a recruiter and making their job easier by giving them exactly what they want, you will tip the scales of success in your favor.